A non-exhaustive list but you can start with these. A good marketing team should at the very least understand and apply these concepts:
- The brand, the process of branding, the business the company is in, the role a brand plays.
- The marketing 4Ps. Just four. I know there are a gazillion other Ps others will convince you is important. Let’s start with four; the rest will fall in place. We can add the QRSTUV…later.
- The category and what makes it tick. Key sales divers, key motivators of the consumers.
- The consumers and their various segments. What makes them buy this category of products you sell?
- The principles of communication.
- The role of the various mediums, what it can do, what it can’t and when to use what?
If they don’t know all these, replace them. Yes, fire them. Or get someone who at least knows these things. Otherwise you are wasting your money.
Is branding for you?